Sunday, October 24, 2010

Most unfortunate...

I was leaving from my office; time was around 6:30PM. I was not at my best - blame it to the body ache I was having since the previous day. The only thing I had in mind was to reach home and repose myself for an early slumber. However, never did I expect to descry such an agonizing scene as described below.


I walk the distance from the entrance of my building to the BMTC stop close-by on the service road. Suddenly I see a red colour swift incoming speedily - at least 80km/hr must have read the speedometer. Next thing, I hear the tires screech as the driver applies brakes to stop. But before the car comes to a halt, 'thud' is the sound of the impact of the swift with a man, who was trying to cross the road. The man left the ground, flew, and landed about 20 ft ahead of the now halted swift, his back shone by the swift's headlights. The impact was a hard one, for the swift's front glass had cracked in a spot. 'Ohhhh' I cry. People standing alongside me also stare at this ghastly sight they had become the unfortunate audience of, and rush to the victim who lay motionless for half a minute. A good crowd gathers around. I am not entirely sure if the driver got out of his swift; he definitely would have been awed. Because of the crowd, the vehicles behind were unable to get ahead and traffic starts piling up. Thus, they decide to use the de facto solution to all traffic problems: honking.


However, in a minute what I see is that someone lifts the victim holding his hands. Someone else holds his legs. They carry him to the swift, open the doors and seat him inside. While they carry him, I see the victim's eyes open and his head shaking. It cleared my apprehensions that the impact had not caused him a sudden death. They accompany him. The next moment, the swift speeds away again, perhaps to the nearest hospital. In a minute, the crowd disperses and traffic flow eases.


All this happened in merely 3 minutes. It was agonizing; something of the sort I never expect to see again. What I did appreciate in this, however, was nobody tried to ascribe blame to either. The action was quick and toward saving the man’s life. I really hope that he received adequate treatment, and, more than anything else, has survived to see this day and the days to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sachin's blog this is